How to Address a Doctor of Education

In this blog post, we’ll show you how to properly address a Doctor of Education. We’ll also provide some tips on what to include in your communication with them.

Checkout this video:


The title “Doctor of Education” (Ed.D. or D.Ed.) is an academic degree earned by individuals who have completed a doctoral degree program in education. The focus of these programs is on prepare students for leadership roles in educational organizations, such as schools, colleges, and universities. Because the title “Doctor” is reserved for individuals who have earned the highest level of academic achievement, it is important to use the proper form of address when addressing a person with this title.

The Different Types of Doctors of Education

The different types of doctors of education are as follows:

-Doctor of Education in Leadership (EDL)
-Doctor of Education in Educational Administration (EEDA)
-Doctor of Education in Educational Psychology (EEDP)
-Doctor of Education in Counseling Psychology (EDCP)
-Doctor of Education in School Psychology (EDSP)
-Doctor of Education in Special Education (EDSE)
-Doctor of Education in Educational Technology (EDET)

How to Address a Doctor of Education

The correct way to address a Doctor of Education is “Dr.LastName” or “DoctorLastName”. If you are unsure of the person’s preferred title, you can use their full name.

In Person

When addressing a doctor of education in person, be sure to use the appropriate title. For formal occasions, use “Dr.” followed by the person’s first and last name. For less formal occasions, you may use the person’s first name only.

On an Invitation

The most formal way to address a person with a doctor of education degree is “Dr. Last Name.” When writing a letter, use “Dear Dr. Last Name.” If you are sending invitation to an event, write “Dr. Last Name and Guest” on the envelope. In less formal correspondence, you can address the person by his or her first name.

In Writing

In writing, the title Doctor of Education or Ed.D. should always be used on the envelope, on official correspondence and on placecards. You would address a Dr. of Education as Dr. Smith on the envelope and Dear Dr. Smith in a letter or email.


In conclusion, a Doctor of Education can be addressed in a variety of ways, depending on the preference of the individual. The most important thing is to be respectful and use the proper title when addressing them.

Scroll to Top