What Can You Do With a Masters in Special Education?

With a master’s degree in special education, you can pursue a variety of careers working with children and adults with disabilities. In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the top jobs in this field.

Checkout this video:


So, you’re thinking about getting a master’s degree in special education. Maybe you’re a recent college graduate who is interested in working with children with special needs, or perhaps you’re a experienced teacher who wants to move into a leadership role. Either way, you’ve probably wondering what kind of career options will be open to you with a master’s degree in special education.

The good news is that there are many different types of jobs available for people with this type of degree. While some positions may require additional certification or training, there are many entry-level and mid-level positions that can be obtained with just a master’s degree.

Some of the most common types of jobs for people with a master’s in special education include:

-Special education teachers: Special education teachers work with students who have a wide range of disabilities, from mild to severe. They typically work in schools, but some may also work in hospitals or other settings.
-Speech-language pathologists: Speech-language pathologists help people with communication disorders improve their speech and language skills. They may work in schools, clinics, or private practices.
-Counselors: Counselors help people cope with personal problems, make important life decisions, and achieve their goals. Many counselors work in private practice, but some also work in schools or other settings.
-Psychologists: Psychologists study the human mind and behavior. Many psychologists work in private practice, but some also work in hospitals, schools, or other settings

Special Education Teacher

Special education teachers work with students who have a wide range of learning, mental, emotional, and physical disabilities. They adapt general education lessons and teach various subjects, such as reading, writing, and math, to meet the needs of each student. They also modify the content, approach, and delivery of instruction to provide the best learning experience possible for their students.

School Administrator

One popular career choice for those with a master’s degree in special education is to become a school administrator. In this role, you would be responsible for managing the staff and resources at a school or district level to ensure that all students have the opportunity to succeed. This could involve developing budgets, designing curricula, coordinating services, and advocating for resources. To become a school administrator, you will typically need to have several years of teaching experience in addition to your master’s degree.

School Counselor

A school counselor is a professional who helps students with their academic, social, and emotional development. Special education counselors work with students who have learning disabilities or other cognitive impairments. They help these students develop the skills they need to succeed in school and in life.

School counselors typically have a master’s degree in counseling or a related field. They must also be certified by the state in which they work. Some states require school counselors to be licensed as teachers.

special education counselors typically work in elementary, middle, and high schools. They may also work in colleges and universities, or in hospitals or other medical settings. Counselors usually work full time, but some may have part-time jobs.

Educational Consultant

An educational consultant provides support to families and children with special needs. They may work in a private practice or as part of a team of consultants. As an educational consultant, you will use your knowledge of special education to help parents navigate the system and find the resources their children need. You will also work with schools to create Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) and ensure that students are receiving the services they need.

Private Tutor

If you have a passion for working with children and want to help those with learning disabilities, becoming a private tutor may be the perfect career for you. As a private tutor, you will work one-on-one with students, helping them to overcome obstacles in their studies and improve their academic performance. In order to be successful in this role, you will need to be patient, organized, and have a deep knowledge of the subject matter you will be teaching.

Special Education Advocate

A career as a special education advocate can be very rewarding. You will have the opportunity to help children with special needs receive the education they deserve. You will work closely with parents, teachers, and administrators to ensure that students receive the services they need. You will also serve as a resource for parents and educators on special education issues.


Whether you want to teach in a traditional school setting or work with students in a more specialized setting, there are many opportunities available to those with a master’s degree in special education. With the right degree and training, you can make a difference in the lives of students with special needs.

Scroll to Top