What Classes Are Required for Early Childhood Education?

If you’re interested in becoming an early childhood educator, you may be wondering what classes are required. This blog post will outline the courses you’ll need to take to earn your degree.

Checkout this video:

General Education Requirements

Most early childhood education programs will require you to complete general education requirements before you can begin taking classes specific to your major. These classes will typically include English, math, science, and social science courses. Some programs may also require that you complete a foreign language class. In addition to these requirements, you will also need to pass a basic skills test in order to be eligible for admission into most early childhood education programs.

A.A. or A.S. in Early Childhood Education

If you want to work in a daycare, Head Start, or as a preschool teacher, you will need at least an Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education. Some jobs may require a Bachelor’s degree. To earn an Associate’s degree, you will need to complete about 60 college credits, which will take about two years. Most of the courses you take will be in education and child development. These are the types of courses you can expect to take:

-Introduction to Early Childhood Education
-Child Development
-Principles of Effective Teaching
-Classroom Management for Early Childhood Educators
-Introduction to Exceptional Children in Inclusive Settings
-Early Childhood Literacy Methods
-Creative Activities for Early Childhood

B.S. in Early Childhood Education

A Bachelor of Science (BS) in Early Childhood Education is a four-year degree that prepares students to work with children from birth to age eight. The curriculum includes classes in child development, educational psychology, and elementary education, as well as a student teaching practicum. Many programs also offer concentrations in specific age groups, such as infancy or primary grades.

Specialized Education Requirements

In order to become an early childhood education teacher, you will need to complete a specialized education program. Many colleges and universities offer programs specifically in early childhood education, and some general education programs also offer this concentration. In order to teach in a public school, you will need to obtain a license or certification in your state, which will generally require the completion of an accredited program.

CDA Credential

To earn a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential, you must complete a specific number of training hours in early childhood education, as well as a period of supervised professional experience working with young children.

State Certification

In order to be certified to teach in a public school in the United States, you will need to earn at least a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education. You may also need to complete a teacher preparation program and student teaching experience. Once you have completed all of the necessary requirements, you will need to pass a state certification exam.

Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education

Early childhood education programs at the associate’s degree level typically take two years to complete and include both classroom lectures and hands-on learning opportunities. Students enrolled in these programs take classes such as math, science, English and social studies, as well as early childhood education classes. Some programs also offer internships or practicum experiences in order to give students the opportunity to work with children in a real-world setting.

Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education


In order to become a certified teacher of young children, you will need to earn at least a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education. This type of degree is typically offered as a Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA). While the courses you take will be similar regardless of which type of degree you pursue, the BS may be more focused on the science and math aspect of teaching, while the BA may place more emphasis on liberal arts courses.

Continuing Education Requirements

In order to keep your Early Childhood Education license active, you will need to complete a certain amount of continuing education credits every few years. The amount of credits required and the frequency with which they need to be completed will vary from state to state. You can usually complete these credits online or through local colleges and universities.

Online Courses

Most online early childhood education programs include a student-teaching component, in which you’ll work with children in an educational setting under the supervision of a licensed teacher. In some cases, you may be able to arrange to do your student-teaching placement in a daycare center or preschool that you already work in.

In-Person Workshops

In addition to the online courses, students enrolled in an early childhood education degree program will be required to complete a number of in-person workshops. Workshops provide students with an opportunity to engage in hands-on learning experiences with young children. These experiences enable students to apply the theories and concepts they are learning in their coursework to real-life situations.

Degree Programs

Degree programs in early childhood education are available at the associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s levels. Some programs may offer concentrations in a particular area of early childhood development, such as special education or administration./n
In addition to taking general education courses, students in these programs take classes specifically related to working with young children. Students might study child development, learning theories, literacy development and assessment methods. Classes might also cover topics such as families and cultural diversity.

Scroll to Top